Last week, I talked about the fact that there’s “so much to appreciate” – the second stress management technique of 10 that I am teaching over the upcoming weeks. You really need to practice these techniques in the order that I’m posting them so, if you haven’t read last week’s blog yet, please do so before trying this one. Don’t forget, I have much more information regarding these techniques in each week’s article, so go to my website and check them out as well.
The purpose of this Stress Management Technique is:
- to experience the difference between muscle tension and relaxation.
- to relax deeply and fully.
- to teach your body to become stress-free.
- Take two slow, deep belly breaths.
- On the third inhalation, tighten your right arm from your shoulder to your hand.
- Hold tightly for two or three seconds.
- As you exhale, relax fully and let your arm drop.
- Repeat the first four steps with your other arm, each leg, and then your entire body.
- As you practice, repeat a relaxing affirmation, such as, “I have all the time in the world” or “I am relaxed and at peace.”
- When you tense your muscles, really tense them; when you relax, really relax.
- When you inhale, fill up your belly with air.
- When you exhale, let your belly relax and stay soft.
- Remind yourself how calm and relaxed you are and remember that you’re capable of this kind of relaxation at any time. Pay attention to what it feels like to be relaxed.
- Think often during your day, “I’m relaxed and at peace.”
- Sometimes practice with only your arms or legs and sometimes your entire body.
Use this Technique:
- before going to bed.
- to feel alert when you awaken in the morning.
- before physical exercise.
- when your neck and/or shoulders are tight.
- when you’re sitting at your desk.
- when you’re stuck in traffic.
- when you’re sitting in a plane.
“TENSE TO RELAX” STRESS MANAGEMENT TECHNIQUE
When you tense your muscles, letting go allows you to relax deeply.
I’m a Problem Solver!
As a Business Growth Strategist & Professional Business Organizer, I want my clients to live the life they are meant to live and be happy, healthy and successful. Now I not only organize, but also coach and provide programs that solve people’s problems!
Got a problem? Let’s talk!