Last week, I taught you how to “slow down” – the fifth stress management technique of 10 that I’m writing about. Don’t forget to practice, practice, practice. It doesn’t take long and before you know it, you’ll be using these techniques without even realizing it. Also, please practice these techniques in the order that I’m posting them.
The purpose of this Stress Management Technique is to:
- notice the many good things you do.
- learn to appreciate your talents and skills.
- remind yourself that you work hard and are worthy of praise.
Reflect back on your day:
- Write down one or two things you did that were helpful or that you were good at.
- Appreciate yourself for your talents and willingness to help.
- Realize that offering kindness, help and support are all positive choices that you make.
- Even little things need to get done. Appreciate yourself for not having blown them off.
- It’s easy to forget how much good we do, such as visiting someone who is sick, listening to a friend, doing the laundry or making dinner.
- We’re often criticized for things we do wrong rather than praised for things we do right. Look for your own virtues if all you’re hearing is complaints.
- It can be difficult for others to acknowledge that someone is doing things well or being kind. Sometimes you have to do it for yourself.
- Remember that appreciation isn’t the same as conceit.
Use this Technique:
- when you feel inferior at a social or business meeting.
- at the end of the day, if you’re wondering what you accomplished.
- when you feel that your abilities aren’t being appreciated at work.
- when you feel overlooked by others.
- when doing a hobby.
- when caring for your children.
“APPRECIATE YOURSELF” STRESS MANAGEMENT TECHNIQUE:
Learning to appreciate your own worth and value isn’t an indulgence; it’s seeing clearly your own unique character and gifts.
Next Tuesday (June 12th), I’ll be talking about the seventh Stress Management Technique – “Smile Because You Care”.
I’m a Problem Solver!
I want my clients to live the life they are meant to live and be happy, healthy and successful. I became a certified lifestyle/business coach. Now I not only organize, but also coach and provide programs that solve people’s problems!
Got a problem? Let’s talk!