Last week, I taught you how to “visualize success” – the fourth stress management technique of 10 that I’m writing about. I hope you’ve been practicing these techniques in the order that I’m posting them. Don’t forget, my weekly articles have more information on each of these techniques as well as my weekly videos so please check them both out on my website for the full immersion.
The purpose of this Stress Management Technique is:
- to put less strain on your body.
- to free up more energy to accomplish what you need to do.
- to allow time to appreciate all that your life has to offer.
- Do a common activity slowly, carefully and with focused attention. Start by taking a couple of slow, deep belly breaths. Then pay close attention to how good something smells (a rose or food); notice how beautiful something looks (nature, a loved one or a piece of art); look carefully at every aspect of something (the marvel of your hands, for example). Drink in wonderful tastes, colours, shapes, and textures.
- When you’re in a hurry, tell yourself, “I have all the time that I need.”
- Sometimes speed up what you’re doing so that you can notice how uncomfortable that feels.
- Practice doing something the usual way and then slow down and practice again.
- Remind yourself that you can’t go any faster than the maximum you’re capable of.
- Notice slower breathing and greater calmness whenever you practice slowing down.
- Observe that food tastes better when eaten slowly.
- You’ll find that family and friends will appreciate you more when you slow down to talk and listen to them.
Use this Technique:
- when waiting in line at a grocery store or airline security area.
- when rushing to an appointment.
- when you notice you’re driving too fast.
- when drinking wine, so that you can really taste the flavor.
- when you feel impatient.
- when you feel bored.
- when making dinner for friends, family or yourself.
“SLOW DOWN” STRESS MANAGEMENT TECHNIQUE
Slowing down and being absolutely focused on what you’re doing is one of the most effective ways to manage stress and manifest both health and happiness.
I’m a Problem Solver!
As a Business Growth Strategist & Professional Business Organizer, I want my clients to live the life they are meant to live and be happy, healthy and successful. Now I not only organize, but also coach and provide programs that solve people’s problems!
Got a problem? Let’s talk!